Tuesday, July 17, 2012

keystone celebration

Note to self...having a celebration before a wedding is a great idea. Cindy and Ric and I celebrated in Keystone. Every bride should take the time to hike and slide and hike some more, and hug some rocks, and drink wine

We had a wonderful time and walked and talked and walked and talked and walked and talked. We re-discovered the power of walking. In fact we have decided to write a book on walking, something along the lines of On The Loose:


Clearly we are still in the developmental stages of this and need to walk some more. Someone reflected that it looked like I would love to have a career based on walking and being outside. I had to laugh, because of course my first major was Forestry, which I switched out of into Geology. Walking outside. What a wonderful way to spend the day.
 Cindy and I read the intro to On the Loose, from my tattered old copy that goes on every back-packing trip, and both found our adventure muse. And so the plans for more sailing and a run at Disneyland and more hiking...wedding dress in tow of course...emerged. Life is a wild adventure, or at least it should be. Too often we view our life as if it is a melodrama instead of an adventure comedy. There is so very much to appreciate in my life, I am so incredibly blessed, that mis-adventures should be laughed at.
We talked about the ways that we blame G-d, or the universe or our karma for bad things and are angry yelling at the sky with a shaking fist "I do not deserve this!"
And yet, do we wake up in the morning and find that our soul is still in our body and that those we love are still on the planet and whisper "I don't deserve this blessing" with a sense of awe? Are we amazed that we have been gifted with sunsets and ocean waves, and safe airplane flights, and un-tainted food, and clean water and on and on?

We decided to commit to this. To blessings and laughter....and walking.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad for all of you that you got this very special time together. Yes, blessings and laughter. Instead of "Ain't it Awful" we should all say "Ain't it Wonderful!" I am blessed to have such friends. Thank you.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete

Filling my soul and scaring myself wild

Death is actually a pretty permanent state, just in case you have not noticed. That probably sounds profoundly silly, but there is ...