Friday, December 28, 2012

Inner Adventuress

The year 2013 will be, whether I like it or not, a year of adventures. Some of them will be planned, but many will not be. Life will just show up and present me with opportunities to live out my inner drama queen or my inner adventuress. 

Since the new year is just days away, I thought a resolution might be in order. Of course, being the nerdy academic that I am, I decided to back this up with some research into what makes us shift into adventuress mode. What makes me respond to an opportunity with an adventure attitude, and how do I "bottle" that to use in the face of the wild ride life takes me on?
How do I look at at the wind, and see the possibilities, rather than down at shore and the dangers? 

After a short bit of research, here are some first thoughts.
An adventure is something that I can feel is a worthy goal, something that I can invest energy into and bring my best self to. This helps me see an issue as simply an "issue" to resolve or a understand that it is an opportunity and a grand adventure to engage in that reflects the way that I move through the world.

Since adventures have uncertain outcomes and can be challenging, I need to build up my tolerance for ambiguity and a bit of adversity. Perhaps delayed gratification is a better term. Anything worthy of the title of "adventure" takes a bit of effort and work and commitment. 

And an attitude of friendship. I choose not to bond over dramatic histrionics. I choose to bond over adventures, no matter how small. This might be the inner adventuress creed, no adventure is too small to enjoy, or too big to become a trauma drama.

More to follow....but I invite you to join me...and the wedding dress... in 2013 to explore your inner adventuress. Let me know how I can inspire you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Filling my soul and scaring myself wild

Death is actually a pretty permanent state, just in case you have not noticed. That probably sounds profoundly silly, but there is ...