Saturday, May 12, 2012

Wedding dress of the past

As I mentioned, we started with a $50 dollar wedding dress off the sale rack that I altered. I had seen a dress in a painting once, with one sleeve and one arm bare. This was not a common style 25 years ago. My friend Anita was with me when we found a dress with long sleeves and a turtle neck. She immediately saw a way to turn it into the dress in the painting.

And there I was with a dress
I had seen in a painting. Tight around the waist,
a bit Gothic and a bit goddess, with a touch of native in the hair. It worked and I loved it. My Dad 
wanted something more "feminine", and my grandmother wanted something more acceptable that she could understand. But it was what I had.  

I have tried in on a couple months ago when we had the idea of getting married again. It still fit...well the middle was a bit loose and the arm was a bit tight...bit it would have worked. But all I could see was that weekend of funeral/wedding and my need to be practical with money.

So the dress went to Goodwill with my blessings that it would make a great dress for someone else, or a Halloween costume. 

I am going to try on dresses 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Filling my soul and scaring myself wild

Death is actually a pretty permanent state, just in case you have not noticed. That probably sounds profoundly silly, but there is ...