Friday, August 31, 2012

T'shuva


The month of Elul marks the season of T'shuva in the Jewish tradition, marked by 40 days from the first of Elul until Yom Kippur. The root of this word means to return, though it is often interpreted as repent...with of course a Jewish flavour. We mean in the end a return to G-d, a return to the truth of our best self, but the journey requires forgiveness and repentance.
Every year I try to make meaning, deeper meaning of this notion of return. This year it is especially
meaningful. Ric and I "returned" in so many amazing ways. Ric returned to his soul's calling this past year and became a Jew by choice.

Together we returned to Israel, a land that speaks to my soul in profound ways that defy simple words or descriptions.
 We returned to see family and join in Jewish celebrations. Together we returned to the chuppa and our marriage, choosing to make it a deeper and spiritual  experience. Together, along with Shiloh, we returned to hiking and our love of the out-of-doors. All of these experiences have made me feel more connected to my own spiritual journey, but T'shuva requires more.

T'shuva requires that I acknowledge my own wrongs and weaknesses and the hurts that I have, intentionally or un-intentionally, caused others. No excuses are allowed. I cannot just say "I was born this way" or "that is just what I do" and move on. T'shuva requires that I acknowledge, ask for forgiveness, including from G-d, grant forgiveness to others, and yes that includes G-d, and change my behaviors. I cannot repent in my head. Judaism is a religion of action, of behavior, not of faith. Belief helps, but it is what I do that really matters.


T'shuva is about returning to the path, to the way, rather than following rules. These 40 days are spent reflecting and acting on this return.

Others have explained this in much better words, so here is a link to get a deeper sense of t'shuva:

There is a way, however, that I can demonstrate t'shuva and live out part of this return here. If you are a person who I, intentionally or unintentionally, wounded or maligned or compromised or ignored, I am sorry. For the many of you who have added to my life in so many ways, thank you. For those of you reading who I do not know, I hope that I have added something positive to your life. I hope my wedding dress journey is helping you return to your own best self.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Filling my soul and scaring myself wild

Death is actually a pretty permanent state, just in case you have not noticed. That probably sounds profoundly silly, but there is ...