Friday, June 8, 2012

Wedding business idea...salon parties!

     Weddings in Israel are wild fun, and start with the bridal preparations. Just after lunch we met up with Rhea and her friends at a hair salon. I hope to have pictures of some of this to post soon from this wild day, but this will give you a general idea: wedding prep
     We got to the salon and Rhea had just finished getting her hair extensions and the top part of her hair in rollers. The stylist put a net over her head, and she joined her friends for food and drink. There was another bridal party there too, and they were eating and drinking at the other end of the salon, hair up in rollers with nets holding the hair in place. The music was pounding and girls were running in and out of the salon to hug friends who were dropping by to say hi. Down the street were several wedding dress stores (the one in the video) and on both sides of the street were dozens of nail and hair shops. Wedding row was hopping.
     I do wish I had before and after pictures of my hair. I walked in with what we call a "Jew-fro" meaning wild mermaid hair. Bigger than big...and NOT curly...just wild. I looked Israeli, as I mentioned before. They washed and blew dry my hair so that is was tame (the same guys in the video worked on all of us) and went off to work on the other women. Hair was washed and rolled and all the time the CAMERAS were rolling.
     Yep, this is the newest thing here, capturing the entire wedding experience on film. There was a video of everything from wet hair on, as well as cameras flashing. Each bride had three...count them...three photographers clicking and filming ever minute of the washing, rolling, drying, curling, brushing, hair spraying (LOTS of spray) and make-up applying.
     HOURS went by as we waited for the final brushing and styling and the last minute make-up application. One bride changed into her dress and walked down a spiral staircase, built for just such occasions, into the arms of her groom. An Israeli love song was blasting on the sound system and every moment and every tear was filmed.
     Rhea's make-up was next, and it was put in with a vengeance. She did not bring her dress, and so rushed out into a waiting car, followed by her personal paparazzi team, and went back to her hotel to change for the wedding. I can only imagine the filming that went on there.
     Finally Judith, Savyon and I escaped. Their hair was stiff from the spray, and their make-up looked permanent. Meanwhile my straight locks escaped the evils of spray, and my face was still naked since we were so short on time. We rushed to a cab to get back to our hotel to change.
     Rhea is supposed to get a complete video and e-scrapbook of the event. If I get access to it I will post. If you own a beauty parlour, consider this as your next business investment. But if you are following my wedding plans, do not expect to see this experience replicated.    

1 comment:

  1. That video was something else!! Wow!! I'm looking forward to reading & seeing more!

    ReplyDelete

Filling my soul and scaring myself wild

Death is actually a pretty permanent state, just in case you have not noticed. That probably sounds profoundly silly, but there is ...