Tuesday, June 12, 2012

The Bride of Rosh Hanikra

We went to the edge of the Israeli Lebanon border to Rosh Hanikra: rosh Hanikra link.
These are limestone caves carved out by the pounding of
the turquoise sea. We took the trolley down to the caves and walked through the limestone listening to the sea calling our names....or at least my name. How can a mermaid resist the call of this clear cool water? Some how I managed..but I have to admit I leaned pretty far over the the guard rails.


Inside the caves the water rocks with the waves,
but seems smooth enough for a kayak. It is probably
deceptive, but I was sure I could navigate this peaceful and wild water. A perfect place for a mermaid to hang out.

Then we heard the story of the bride and I was sure that another mermaid had answered the call. In the legend a young girl had been promised to a rich Lebanese merchant,
who she did not love. When she came to the crossing through the caves she heard the sea call to her and answered by flinging herself into the waters. She disappeared and her body was never found.

Of course not...I am sure she sang the song of the sea and her legs turned in to a tail and she swam off to freedom. It is said that she visits the shore and blesses brides who are marrying for love. I sang my song of the sea to her...the song that I believe will return me to the sea...and asked for her blessing. I am pretty sure there was a ripple of response in the turquoise waters below me. Was that a flicker of a tail deep within the pools? Good thing the was a guard rail...or who knows where I would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Filling my soul and scaring myself wild

Death is actually a pretty permanent state, just in case you have not noticed. That probably sounds profoundly silly, but there is ...