Monday, May 20, 2013

Jimmy Buffet meets Captain Jack Sparrow.


 Two notions from two of my favorite philosophers have been haunting me all weekend. The first is from Jimmy Buffet the time is now, breathe in breathe out move on. We are in the present and have to deal with the life we have. We have a choice of how we deal with the situation, but we still have to deal with life the way it is.  

 According to my watch the time is now. Don't try to explain it, just nod your head. Breathe in, breathe out, move on.

And while Jimmy has a watch that says now, Captain Jack Sparrow has a compass that always points to his deepest desire, but only if he knows what he desires. Once he remembers what he desires he can find it.

I am intrigued by the notion of these two bits of technology. No google searches, no email updates, no 7 or 9 or 28 habits to success and happiness. Just a watch that says know and a compass that points to your desires. Then follow the compass....breathe in...breathe out...move on. Repeat. 

This is the still small voice inside us. This is what the voices that sang me to sleep as a child, and woke me from my narcissistic adolescent years were telling me. There is now. And there is an inner compass that takes guides us forward. All we have to do is be present and listen.

 I did. All the way to the sea at Santa Barbara...and laughed and walked and had fun with a great friend and a wedding dress.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Filling my soul and scaring myself wild

Death is actually a pretty permanent state, just in case you have not noticed. That probably sounds profoundly silly, but there is ...