Monday, January 28, 2013

disney run fun

The wedding dress, Cindy and I went to Disneyland for the Tinkerbell 1/2 marathon event. The run was fun...wild fun as only a Disney experience can be. We would round a curve and there was a load speaker announcing "caution, the path narrows and turns." We ran passed Micky and Minnie and Pooh and Eeyore and the Incredibles. I was holding out for Alice.

We crossed the finish line, donned medals, grabbed our treat bags and headed back to the hotel for coffee. We had been up since 4:00 and needed serious caffeine and showers. 

Then it was time to grab the dress and head into the park. We had to go through the obligatory bag search, and the wedding dress was discovered. I actually thought about calling ahead and asking what the rules are...but that is so not my style. So I decided to just bluff through any issues.

The wedding dress was spotted and I was told that I was not supposed to take wedding pictures in the park without advance planning. So the wedding dress went on a stealth mission. We decided it was a "princess" dress and that we would sneak our pictures.


We climbed up the Swiss Family Tree house...now called the Tarzan Tree house...and pulled out the dress for a picture. Then we climbed on Tom Sawyer's raft and took a ride over to Pirate's Island and pulled out the dress for some stealth shots.

There was treasure and gold and sometimes an audience, which was really fun. We explained the entire wedding dress adventure to applause.



We waited in line and talked about adventures, and then road all the adventure rides we could find. We wondered how to inspire those around us to see life in the grand way, without worrying about traveling to far distant places. What if all the adventure and inspiration we need is in the attitude we bring to our life?

 
We pulled the dress out in the Small world and in the tea cup chairs in our hotel and wondered about the human need for adventure in other traditions and places. I spent years exploring and studying and searching and looking until a Jewish friend asked me if I had ever tried Judaism before I rejected it. How odd, no, I had not.

So I went back and started over, except I felt like Alice down the rabbit hole. I had no idea that I came from a tradition of meditation and song, of ecstatic dance and chant, of mystical exploration and a sense of G-d in nature. I never knew. I was too busy looking for adventure everywhere else; too busy assuming that adventures had to be thrilling and life threatening, happen in a far away land, and be worthy of a movie deal.


I tried to ask Alice when I finally found her, but the mad hatter pulled her away. So we took one last ride down splash mountain and called it a day. We headed back to our room exhausted and had a dinner of potato chips and Rum, sang Pirate songs and watched the fireworks over our headboard. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Filling my soul and scaring myself wild

Death is actually a pretty permanent state, just in case you have not noticed. That probably sounds profoundly silly, but there is ...